Monday, September 21, 2009

Not Me Monday



Today, That Kid did not have an appointment with an audiologist. He has not been going to speech therapy for the last 18 months, and is not graduating out of the program now that he is almost three.

At the audiologist, he did not try to cover his ears when certain tones were played. He did not respond well when the audiologist was speaking to him. He did not respond well when asked to point or look at specific pictures. I am not a wreck, because the audiologist did not tell me that his behavior wasn't typical of a three year old boy. She did not say that he should have responded better to the tones. We do not have to go back in 5 weeks to have him rechecked. When I asked her if he may have reacted the way he did because his ears are not sensitive to certain noises, she did not tell me that he probably has sensory issues.

I am not going to talk to That Dad when he comes home about potentially home schooling That Kid. I am not furious about the school district trying to make him a perfect little carbon copy of each and every other student, who will either perform well or will be labeled a problem child. I am not going to go eat a muffin and cry now. This was not the Not Me Monday that I was planning to write today...but this is the one that came from my heart.

Oh...one more thing...knowing it was not going to be cool and rainy today, I did not create an outfit around a jacket. :) Nope...not me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Aw.. my heart goes out to you! I'm sure you would be a great homeschool mom, and I'd at least get a second opinion with another audio or speech path person before I made up my mind. If he responded at ALL to the sounds, that is a good sign, right? Hope that situation gets better! I've done the jacket thing, too. Though today, I just threw on a non-matching water-proof one and went. Funny, nobody noticed that I did NOT blow dry my hair this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if your hair is just going to get wet again, don't bother with the drying! ;) Actually, I never, ever dry my hair unless I'm styling it!

    ReplyDelete