Several weeks ago, we acquired That Freaking Bird, the family pet. It started out as That Brother-in-law's bird; he gave it to That Mother-in-law; and when That Mother-in-law got remarried and started traveling more, we got That Freaking Bird.
That Freaking Bird is a lot of work. Today, for instance, I had to take him to the vet for a beak and claw trim. He's too lazy to do it himself. He's also a huge mess. I was, however, quite sad when the vet told me that when That Freaking Bird's beak grows too long he can't eat well, and that the cause of demise for most birds with this condition is starvation. I was upset, because while I didn't *want* That Freaking Bird, I certainly don't want him to starve to death! What a horrible way to die! And That Kid loves That Freaking Bird! Today when I took him for his beak trim I said, "Tell That Freaking Bird bye-bye!" Bad choice of words...That Kid sobbed. He didn't want That Freaking Bird to go bye-bye. And he was thrilled when I came home and That Freaking Bird was with me.
You know, That Freaking Bird is starting to grow on me. Sure, he makes a huge mess and That Kid's diet now consists of more "seed" than it should, but he is kinda cute. He didn't ask to be the "family pet"...all he wanted was a warm home, and someone to feed him...and make sure his beak doesn't grow too long. When That Freaking Bird dies, I don't know what we're going to tell That Kid. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that for a while. Either that, or he'll die while we're on vacation and I won't have to tell That Kid anything. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment