After Michael Jordan left Basketball a gazillion years ago, he tried to be a Baseball player. My brother had a shirt that said, "Michael Jordan, the GREATEST BASEBALL PLAYER EVER!" on the front and "No...but he's trying!" on the back. I loved that shirt. It's my favorite shirt...aside from my "I Beat Anorexia" t-shirt from That Onna (The only place I wear that shirt, besides around the house, is to the gym. :) ).
Our Church is starting a co-ed softball team. I want to join. I think it would be fun, and good exercise, and would get me involved in with more people from Church. I told That Onna I wanted to join, and she said, "You can't run!" and because I hang around a three and a half year old with quick and witty comebacks I said, "No, YOU can't run!"
Am I the greatest ever? No. But, do I want to try? Sure do. And in preparation for trying, and to prove to myself that I CAN run, I've been doing sprints at the gym. Run for 20 seconds, rest for 20 seconds. I did eight last night. :) This officially makes me the best sprint runner ever...that lives in our house.
As Your Mom, I'm just concerned that you have the potential to injure yourself trying to run. Because... when is the last time you actually ran? Not trying to dis you, or dash your hopes! Just be sensible and careful!
ReplyDeleteYOU can do anything you set your heart on. I know she is your mum, but if you want to play softball than do it. If you find out you really don't like it at least you can say I tried it, I gave it my all and it's just not for me.
ReplyDeleteCoaches tell students all the time, you can't run why do you even want to try, you're just going to fail. Yes the student may be slow, may lack cordination but desire goes a lot further than speed.
Be careful, take it slow at first and enjoy. Can't wait to see you in your uniform.
And remember doing this when even your own mother said you couldn't will teach thatchild that NO matter what someone tells him in life he can try everything because his momma did.
Hey I wasn't trying to be mean! I'm her mom! I love her!
ReplyDeleteCoco...to answer your question, the last time I ran was 1993 :)
ReplyDeleteHowever, we have decided that financially we can't do it. There are team dues, I would need new shoes and a mitt. It's not going to keep me from running sprints though! I'm still the greatest sprint runner ever!
You Go Girl! Keep on sprinting!
ReplyDelete