That Kid and That Grampa, November 1, 2007
it was a beautiful, sunny day. The next day, Valentine's Day, called for snow. That Kid and I had decided to come see That Gramma and That Grampa, and bring them their Valentine treats so we wouldn't have to travel in the snow the next day. That Kid got his Valentine treats, too. Then, he and That Grampa had a fun afternoon of running in the back yard, up and down the hill. They chased each other, and played until it was time for That Kid and me to go. We gave hugs, told them Happy Valentine's Day, and said we would talk to them tomorrow.The next day, as we were sitting and watching the snow fall, the phone rang. It was That Gramma. As That Dad was talking to his mother, his face fell. He told her he would be there as soon as he could, and ran to get dressed. I couldn't imagine what was going on...and I wasn't prepared for what he was about to tell me. He was running through the house throwing clothes on when he said, "It's my Dad. He's had a heart attack. They don't think he made it." and he ran out to the garage and left as fast as he could.
Immediately, I got on the phone. I called everyone I could think of to start praying. Then, I sat and waited for That Dad to call me and tell me where he was. About 1PM, he finally called. They were on their way home. His Dad didn't make it.
That Grampa had gone out after breakfast to clear the driveway of snow with his snowblower. When he was done, he was going to buy Valentine flowers for That Gramma. He only got a couple feet done when his heart gave out. It only took five minutes from the onset of the heart attack to his passing, the doctor told us.
That Dad asked me two nights ago what I wanted for Valentine's Day. He said he wanted nothing, that he can't think about it. He said in a few years maybe it will be a happy holiday again, but right now he just can't handle it. I don't blame him. I don't want him to be sad. We're not celebrating Valentine's Day, really. We did go to a concert on Thursday night and he got me a t-shirt which we decided was my gift...and he said he would get me chocolates on Monday when they're on clearance, but Sunday, we're not going to discuss it. We're going to watch the Daytona 500 instead. We're not having a fancy meal, we're having snacks and finger foods, and cake balls.
And we're going to remember That Grampa...the Valentine God wanted so badly two years ago tomorrow, and took to live with him in Heaven. I know That Grampa is happy, and I know he's holding Ramen, and Ravioli, and I think he still comes around every once in a while. Sometimes I'll go out into the garage and it smells like cigar smoke. That Kid was talking about the ghost for a while (he hasn't for a long time, though)...I think it was That Grampa. And, at Christmas I found a lone gift tag that said, "To: That Kid From: Grampa and Gramma" laying in the garage. Coincidence? Perhaps. But, it makes me happy to think about That Grampa hanging out, watching That Kid grow.
Sweet Sweet Picture! Your Mom
ReplyDeleteI remember you posting on the boards about this two years ago. I had forgotten that this had happened. Bless your sweet husband and your family today!
ReplyDeleteJust catching up on your blog. So sorry I didn't say anything sooner. I still can't believe its been 2 years.
ReplyDelete