Friday, February 5, 2010

The art of being polite

Yesterday, That Family headed to a warehouse store. You know, the one that rhymes with Shmostco. Those In-Laws got us a membership for Christmas, and we've put it to great use!

While we were shopping yesterday, we got several samples. That Kid got orange juice, a mini pepperoni pizza, a chicken corn dog, That Dad got a yummy brownie, and we all got rice crackers with the most amazing cheese I have ever tasted. And, while That Dad was watching That Kid and I was getting samples, he made an observation.

People are rude butt holes. There were people who didn't even acknowledge the person giving the sample, there were people who just took the FOOD and not the napkin or little paper cup the sample was in, there were people who pushed there way to the front of the line...then there were the few like...well, like me. I made sure to make eye contact with each person giving the sample, smiled, thanked them. Sure, it took a few extra seconds, but it was worth it. I have a feeling that the poor sample employees don't get thanked very often by the reactions I received.

I just wish that everyone would remember that a simple THANK YOU goes a long way. The cashier at the store, or the person giving samples, or even the receptionist at the doctor's office could be having a crappy day. A smile and a thank you can make them forget about that crappy day...even if it's only for a few seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment